Gary Deetz is a professional gardener with over 30 years of growing experience in a variety of climate zones. He makes his home in the mountains of Asheville, North Carolina and spends his free time hanging out with other gardeners and permaculture enthusiasts. He believes that a garden should be designed as a creative and spiritual process, not a mechanical one. “One of the most important things I do in my designs is creating patterns and flow, in addition to beauty and functionality”.
In addition to many years of public and personal gardening, consulting, and design work, he has the following accomplishments:
- Trained & Certified as a Permaculture Design Consultant (2003) and Permaculture Teacher at the Central Rocky Mountain Permaculture Institute in Colorado, site of one of the most mature forest gardens in the US & a unique place to study permaculture in action
- Certified as a Wildlife Habitat Naturalist (2003) by the Windstar Wildlife Institute
- Co-founder of Pikes Peak Permaculture, a non-profit organization that provides education and resources in sustainable design, and offers workshops and Permaculture Certification courses
- Former Colorado Master Gardener
- More than 18+ years experience, designing, growing, planting, and working in forest gardens.
He also has experience with:
- Soil Building & Amending
- Compost Building
- Raised Bed Gardens
- Vegetable Gardens
- Perennials Gardens
- Garden Insects & Diseases
- Garden Coaching
A personal note: I have an unusual background as an artist, business person, permaculture designer, teacher & consultant, professional on-site gardener, garden center manager, and former master gardener. Based on this experience, I have a perspective that most gardeners and consultants won’t have, with a less diverse background. This knowledge, shared with you, can be very beneficial to you, as a property owner looking for answers and solutions.
Jim’s accomplishments include, but are not limited to:
◆ Co-founder – The Organic Growers School
◆ Founding Member – Carolina Farm Stewardship Association, at one time, serving on the board
◆ CFSA – Sustainable Agricultural yearly conference – Co-coordinator (3 years)
◆ Former Board Member – SARE-PDP ( a four-year term, representing North Carolina, that developed training in sustainable agriculture for extension agents in the southern US).
◆ Owner – Good Earth Organics, which did business in Costa Rica for 13 years, importing organic ginger and coffee to the US
Jim has worked on farming and marketing programs in Bolivia, Chile, Guatemala, Zambia, Africa, and Cuba. He also has extensive experience working with soils, soil building amendments, cover cropping systems, green-housing, and other farm systems approaches.
I do consult and have been a landscaper for over 3o years. I favor edible plants, herbs, flowers, to create beauty, and to invite more interaction for people and their landscapes. As a farmer, the same is true: since people too often feel disconnected from a landscape or farm, their land or plants, I work toward merging the client’s needs and increasing beneficial interactions with the natural world.
Click Here for more details on Jim’s consultations.
- Permaculture teacher
- consultant, designer & practitioner
- International consultant for small-scale sustainable agriculture
- Endangered species observer
- Field biologist and naturalist
- Home orchard consultant & designer
- Natural foods chef & teacher
- Broom maker (member of Southern Highland Craft Guild)
- Artisanal bread baker
- and all around general biophile…
Presidential Volunteer Award, 2005, 2006, & 2007
Bonnie Willow is available to consult with the nature spirits on a client’s property if desired. She is a clairvoyant/clairaudient energy healer with over 30 years of experience. As a Reiki Master and practitioner of Transformative Healing, she uses her intuitive skills in working with nature intelligence. Rev. Bonnie is a non-denominational Interfaith Minister, who works with a team of nature spirits, angels, and nonphysical spirit guides when doing her work. She has clients in many countries around the world and teaches classes on a variety of topics relating to communicating with nature, consciousness expansion, spiritual energy healing, and holistic business. A practitioner of organic gardening for decades, she is a co-founder of Pikes Peak Permaculture, is a former Board Member of School of Inner Health and is a former Associate Minister with the Colorado EcoSpiritual Center. She is currently Director of the School of Peace in Asheville. Her website is www.bonniewillow.com.