Gary Deetz is a professional gardener from Colorado with over 25 years of experience in a variety of climate zones. It has been said that if you can grow in Colorado, you can grow anywhere, because of the harsh, ever changing climate conditions there. He has now made Asheville his home where he can be closer to family and enjoy the bounty of a longer growing season. He believes that a garden should be designed as a creative and spiritual process, not a mechanical one.
In addition to many years of public and personal gardening, and design work, he has the following accomplishments:
- Trained & Certified as a Permaculture Design Consultant and Permaculture Teacher at the Central Rocky Mountain Permaculture Institute in Colorado, site of one of the most mature forest gardens in the US
- Certified as a Wildlife Habitat Naturalist by the Windstar Wildlife Institute
- Co-founder of Pikes Peak Permaculture, a non-profit organization that provides education and resources in sustainable design, and offers workshops and Permaculture Certification courses
- Former Colorado Master Gardener
- More the 12+ years experience, designing, growing, and working in forest gardens